Sunday, April 13, 2008

Contrast: The Mighty and the Loving

The Mighty:

"The Lord thunders
at the head of his army;
his forces are beyond number,
and mighty are those who obey his command.
The day of the Lord is great;
it is dreadful.  Who can endure?"
-Joel 2:11
"The sun and moon will be darkened
and the starts no longer shine.
The Lord will roar from Zion
and thunder from Jerusalem;
the earth and the sky will tremble,
But the Lord will be a refuge for his people,
a stronghold for the people of Isreal."
-Joel 3:15,16

The Loving:
"When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.
But the more I called Israel,
the further they went from me.
They sacrificed to Baals
and burned incense to images.
It was I who taught Ephriam to walk,
taking them by the arms;
but they did not realize
it was I who healed them.
I led them with cords of human kindness,
with ties of love;
I lifted the yoke from their neck
and bent down to feed them."
- Hosea 11:1-4

"I will ransom them from the power of the grace;
I will redeem them from death.
Where, O death, are your plagues?
Where, O death, is your destruction?"
-Hosea 13:14a

No comments: