Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Letters from Afghanistan: part 2


My first prayer letter.
Dated: June 2004

Micah Manifest
“There's more than one way to eat a Micah!”


Hello all! I got myself one of those snazzy titles like so many people with prayer letters have. Anyways this is my first prayer letter so I am kinda new at this concept so it should be interesting how it turns out. Anyways first off I want to thank all of those who have prayed and are praying for our family. I know the power of prayer and I thank all of you very much for getting us through the tough times and the good times. Many people only think that miraculous miracles only happened in Jesus' time and in the early church, but in fact miracles happen every day. Just take a look at my brothers life and the many circumstances surrounding his time on earth. Then there is miracles that you take for granted for example one day I was down in LA getting some checks from our bank because I needed to pay the bills and they needed my uncles signature so I had to drive to Santa Fe Springs and get him. My uncle was following me in his van when he noticed he was low on gas. He had to returned home because he forgot his checkbook. So anyway, by the time we arrived at the bank it was exactly the time I was supposed to be in my chemistry class at Crafton. I got the checks and ended up being 45 minutes late to class. I mean normally I would have just ditched..uh, I mean I'd never ditch..but I had already missed class twice, once because I didn't know we had lab on the first day and another time I forgot what day it was and you can only miss class three times before you are dropped. So I prayed and arrived at school and ran to class to see if I could get a tardy but when I got to class the teacher had left a note on the door saying that class was canceled for the day because she was on vacation. I was so relieved. I called my uncle to tell him about the miracle. Sometimes you just need to slow down and take notice that God does answers your prayers, even the most insignificant ones. May not be in the way you hoped, or even it could be no, but its amazing that the God of our universe listens to our all of our prayers, even prayers about being late to class.
Ok, I know that there is some of you out there that are wondering how I have wasted my time these last few months. Well besides staring at the walls, I retuned home from LeTourneau and started school at Craton Hills College, and now somehow I ended up in Afghanistan. While at LeTourneau last fall I decided that it would be too expensive to take a bunch of prerequisites there that I needed, so I decided to return home to Redlands and take care of the house and help out with my friends business The Punk Video Guys and also go to school. The last semester at Crafton has been laid back and its been a lot of fun to working with The Punk Video Guys, going to concerts and helping bands out. I decided to spend my summer helping PACTEC out in Afghanistan. I was originally going to go on airport surveys but the guy that i was supposed to go with couldn't come until a few days before i have to leave for home. Fortunately a spot open up for me at the PACTEC email center. So for the last few weeks i have been running email center where local Non-government organizations can send and receive email. It might not sound like a big deal but remember this is kabul. PACTEC is also a distributor and installer of VSat satellite internet receivers. As more NGOs get VSats we have seen less and less people come in but we still have a few regulars. It's isn't a high demanding job and it gives me the opportunity for side projects but it's a job that must be done.

Praise
-For safety so far
-For the return of Our Van. The big man at the Ministry of Planning decided he would exercise his ego by confiscating NGO vehicles and putting some Afghans and a few ex-pats in custody for not having registering their vehicles. The thing is the guy in charge of the ministry of planning decided that NGO vehicles needed to be registered and in the same day almost instantly he started confiscating vehicles. So no one had their vehicle registered and the police were taking their vehicles at gun point supposedly. NGOs like the UN and just about every NGO that had vehicles in Kabul, were getting their vehicles taken and some being held in custody. In one day supposedly 50 vehicles were confiscated. So ISAF and some other other parts of the government stepped in. To the answer of of a lot of prayers the Ministry of the Interior who has more control (payed them?) of the police told the ministry of planning and the police that it was illegal to confiscate vehicles and that the vehicles had to be returned and the people being held to be freed. So in result we have gotten our van back, but as a prayer request, Afghanistan need our prayers. Its really heating up here, tensions are high and egos are clashing.
-That God gave me the privilege to come here.
-Dads getting married.

Prayer Requests
-For the nationals (Afghans) working at PACTEC. Its a completely different culture here and its hard to explain but when Afghans make financial deals they usually cut them selves a portion of the profit and its been costing our PACTEC money and Afghan employees. NOTE: dad feel free remove the previous statement
-For the rest of the PACTEC employees for having to deal with the problems the Afghan culture crates in the work environment.
-For the PACTEC coms department. They are really stressed out and people often harass them over the phone. Not to mention they have been in the process of hiring new employees to replace the corrupt ones. Basically the comms department in general need prayer and people!
-For The safety of the foreign workers here. There has been a lot of safety concerns lately and we are on an elevated security level.
-Just pray for Afghanistan in general. The country is going through many changes. Some for the good and some not so good. Pray for the people and that the Lord would work in this country.
-Pray for housing here in kabul. Since the foreign aid worker have came, a lot of the land lords have been raising the rent and some of the poorer afghans are being left without a home.
-Pray for the Afghan people. Tensions in the government have been running high and I was talking to our choquador and he was concerned and angered by the afghans in government because their only in for the money and most of them are corrupt.
-Pray for the aid workers here trying to change the country for the better. I mean I've talked to people and their getting discouraged about the progress. Its like throwing a glass of water on a wild fire.
-Dads getting married.

No comments: