
So I have been meaning to write something but never took the time to sit down until now. I actually am in California right now for my friends wedding. I spent the last three weeks in mostly Ephraim, Utah working with Chip and Jamie Thompson. I had met them on my previous spring break and decided that I has some time before I left for Ecuador to spend in ministry to mormons and helping where I can. So I met up with James after my first leg if the journey and we headed to Utah. The days prior to leaving for Utah, we drove around the LA area dropping off James'stuff. We tried to go to Chino but on the way there the truck was stalling. We drove in the slow lane because the truck kept dying. The truck would choke and die and I would immediately throw it into a lower gear and drop the clutch and it would sputter and start back up.
I stopped at Wanda's house (James friend) and we unloaded some of his stuff. Before we stopped I had bought a fuel filter and just kept it with me. So while stopped I decided to fix my truck. So in the middle of this mobile home park I started taking my truck apart. The fuel filter happened to be under the intake manifold and had some awkwardly placed bolts holding it together. Actually it was in a fairly bad place and the engine was still hot, so I was extra careful not to touch anything (even though I had to to get some of the bolts off). So we were definitely there for at least five hours total. I got the fuel filter off to realize they gave me the wrong part. So I was kinda sitting there not knowing what to do. I was like 'Oh Lord what on earth shall I do?' Then James is like 'ya you can probably borrow Wanda's car' and I guess she overheard and was like 'oh of course you can honey!' So anyways this person I don't even know just let me use her car to drive back to the parts store where I had gotten the fuel filter at. I got there and was like you gave me the wrong part! so they checked and rechecked the part number and was like 'thats for your truck' and I kept saying 'no its not, it doesn't fit!' So they asked if I had the part I took out and of course I had forgotten it. So I drove back to Wanda's house and got the part and headed back to the store. Thankfully it was only a 15 or 20 minute drive each way. Anyways I get there and show them the part and was like 'the part you game me does not match this one.' So the guy at the counter goes back and looks for another one of the parts I had and finds that that one was the only one. So he is coming out from the back and looks in this random box that was just sitting on the counter and just happens to find the part I need. Its funny how the Lord works sometimes. Anyways so the part I needed was there in this other random box so the guy is like sorry for the mix up and just gives me this fuel filter. So I head back and put it in. So Wanda is nice enough to fix us some food and we head off, and as soon as we get on the main road, my truck starts to have trouble again. So I was like, Ok we will just go tomorrow and trust God to get us to Utah.
On saturday around 10 to 11 am, we take off for Ephraim. I the truck was running a little rough and I just kept praying that God would just carry our truck to Utah and I didn't care if it broke there, as long as we made it. We stopped for lunch in Barstow and made it to Cedar City, Utah by dinner. The truck would sputter now and then but by 8 PM we made it to Ephraim, UT. The college house had been warned that we would be coming up sometime that weekend. When we got in and James and I walked into the college house and I must say it was quite awkward at first. We kinda stood there while the people started at us for a moment, then Liz, one of the staffers recognized me and introduced James and I. The college group had been watching Live Free or Die Hard so we finished the movie with them.
Next day we went to Ephraim Church of the Bible and listened to pastor Rodney's sermon. It was real refreshing sermon, like a cold shower on a hot day after hard work. Anyways, I talked to a few people but was unsure what to do since I know no one except Liz and Torr because I had met them before. Anyways James was about as quiet as I was, but we eventually joined into a game of foursquare after church. Anyways that night we had college Bible study and James and I led. James sang some songs and I did a devo. I most apologize, I may have been a little hard on James. I kept asking him to speak up, but he did a wonderful job playing. Unfortunately, the devo I did make sense. I had spent all afternoon on a devo from Hosea on how much the Lord loves his people and how even thought Israel acted like the adulteress wife, the Lord still yearned and loved her so much. So anyways the devo did not come out anything like that. Instead I seemed to miss all my major points and probably jumped around the book to much. Thanks to Chrissy and Liz who added in their own comments which gave the devo more substance.
We didnt do much the following day since chip and jamie were gone and it was raining. On Tuesday chip was back and had us start by digging out a foot or more of dirt where the plumbing was going. So James and I dug most of that out and Josh (was staying at the college house) dug most of the dirt out in the hallway. Like there was a main room in the basement which had the main line to the sewer and then the trench we dug deeper went across the room, under a wall and into another room. So in one day we dug all that needed to be dug. I was so exhausted I went to bed at like 8 or so at night. I do not really remember what all I did that week. Construction wise, we rerouted the entire sewer system and put all the dirt back in up to the pipes and tamped it all down. One day we rerouted all the phone lines and many other lines. We watched a few movies, went to the thrift store and I got to talk to some lady who tried to sell me drugs (health/energy pills) at McDonalds. James and I decided to go hiking or something. Instead we drove up the mountain and got stuck. I prayed and the Lord sent me some rednecks. They pulled me out and to the side of the road. Then I got stuck again and started to slide down the mountain. So I prayed again and the Lord sent me more rednecks. This time the guy pulled me out and I was able to get back down. Anyways we were working quite hard for a week or so. By the next week I had started on stuff for a garage sale. Gareth and Tyler came in on tuesday night.
On wednesday the four of us went and talked to Mr. L at the mormon institute. We tried to challenge him on some stuff be he kept trying to weasel his way out. The last time Gareth and I had talked to him he was not to happy with us and tried to talk down to us. He had immediately asked what our agenda there was. Anyways this time was really chill and relaxed. He attacked Chips character at times, but he said he respected that he tried hard. Anyways James and Tyler talked the most. James asked a lot of theological questions and more direct questions and Tyler kept the conversation going. Gareth looked a little frustrated that the conversation wasn't going anywhere more productive. We started in on the impossible gospel. Gareth got in on a few point and used almost work for word some of Chip's examples and Mr. L disagreed. I added comments now and then. Anyways he needed to go to lunch and I think we were frustrated with all the ways he tried to justify his beliefs so we parted ways. Then we went to Provo and got lost and bought Liz 40 lbs of carrots at Cosco. We were in the checkout and a missionary asked if our friend was a horse.
The next few days we worked on garage sale stuff. We went biking one night and trail riding another night. The days were so long and full of stuff it all kinda blends together, and this blog is getting long. Anyways we had Scandinavian festival in Ephraim that friday and saturday. Ben, one of the missionaries and youth pastor, had spotted some missionaries cruising around. So Gareth and I decide to find them. Anyways we walked around and couldn't find them. So we went back and had some lunch and chilled at the college house waiting. When they finally came out we went to follow them. I guess they saw us because they ducked into a ward and locked the doors, so we walked around the ward trying doors. So that was unsuccessful. James and Tyler went out later and caught them and had a discussion with them and a planned a meeting for the following week.
Sunday was good as usual and monday we decided after ripping out concrete in the garage to go to Salt Lake City because James had the day off. We get there and it turns out to be memorial day so like temple square is deserted. We visited the LDS church history museum and saw the huge pentagram in the kids section. I took a picture of James playing with it. Anyways we headed for temple square and prayed there. I I had a felling that it may be an unproductive day. Didn't feel right, but I was standing next to the temple of satan, so that may have something to do with it. Oh in the museum we tried to start a conversation with one of the volunteers, but we just like kept hitting walls it seemed. Every time we would ask about archeological proof, they pretty much said it is all down in southern Mexico. Anyways at temple square we decided to go on a tour. I can not say how much it sickened me how much they tried to sound like they were Christian and how they have their act together. I wanted to puke. We had a Roman Catholic couple in our group who's son was mormon. So I was like there is no way I want these mormons to convert these people. So I spoke up and made a lot of strange comments or asked dumb questions, to try and crack they guise. They started talking about how the mormons were persecuted and I kept asking how and for what. I was holding my tongue on the whole polygamy issue and the whole marring teenagers to 50 year old men kinda thing. I just wanted to blurt out 'maybe the reason they were persecuted is because they were marring/RAPING TEENAGE GIRLS!" but I think I would have been quickly escorted out. So we didn't go near the temple really and when we got to the last area where we discuss stuff. We all started asking questions. Gareth and I immediately started off on the purpose of the temple and were taking turns like team mates for truth. I didn't notice at the time, but the couple with us disappeared, but the two missionaries were still with us. Anyways some how James and I were talking to this missionary from germany, who was really uninterested in discussing anything it seemed, and Tyler and Gareth were talking to this missionary from Canada. I defienetly do not feel bad when I call those mormons cowards. The girl we were talking to told us she was uninterested in talking about the Book of Mormon. I was actually stunned. Anyways, I was being sneeky and during the whole tour I had been asking if the temple was required for salvation and Baptism was required for salvation and church membership was required for salvation, and stuff like that. So I have this talent I guess for repeating things almost work for word, so I kept on bringing back her words and challenging her on it. James was there with me quoting scripture and we were talking turns. It was like a freakin Spiritual Battle Royal. Ok was actually more a one-sided spiritual Battle Royal, its so cool how believers can work together, have the same views even though we all come from diffrent backgrounds. It only works because we have the Spirit of the Almighty God in us because that is what unites us. Anyways she was getting very frustrated, and actually she did most of the talking because she always had to explain herself. So we covered God in an unorthodox way, and salvation. We had focused on salvation and as always we got to the part where many precious truths and have been removed by wicked men who's hands that the Bible had passed through. Its like COME ON all you mormons say the exact same thing! At least REWORD it! Anyways I think the spirit just put this on my heart. I said, "OK I know both you and I believe in an almighty God, so when you say that precious truths have been removed your saying God cant protect his own word. Your saying that men are more powerful then God. " I pretty much said they she believed God was weak and powerless and might as well be dead. She definitely blew a fuse. I didn't think it was so significant untill I was retelling my story to Chip and he said that it probably hit hard, then I though about it and if it did its because the Holy Spirit directed it. Anyways James was with me and was quoting scripture. We got to the doctrine of salvation (my favorite subject with mormons, why cant they see that God loves us so much the gave his son so we could commune with Him as the imperfect beings we are?) and I asked her what grace was and she started to talk about her self. Another holy spirit prompt came up and I asked her if it was her grace or God's because she was just talking about her self. She pretty much told me to be quite while she explained. It may sound like a destructive or an attack on these moron missionaries, but I can honestly say if i was asked these questions in the way we asked I would have absolutely no problem with answering them, I would not get frustrated because I have an answer that is biblical for them and I don't have to pull them out of my butt or put some twist on them so they still sound Christian or appear Christian. Anyways this German girl was like I have to go so we filled out a card and I wrote that I must talk to more missionaries and write my schools address on it. As soon as I had finished it she went and dragged her partner away from Tyler and Gareth and such. So the rest of the day was unproductive. We talking to this one guy and Gareth asked him why he wasnt wearing black. He said he didnt want to look like a bunch of penguins. Anyways we walked out the gate looked for food, but everything was closed, so we headed back through the temple square. We had only left for like 5 minutes and when we returned our friend was no where to be found. So he must have been wacked. Anyways this other guy we talked to was pretty much like, Where are you from and who is paying you to be here kinda thing. Anyways he asked about pageant and how many of us were going to be there. SO that wasn't awkward at all! (sarcastic!) We told him the truth, but he didn't believe us. So we headed back to Ephraim.
We did work the next two days and go to go on an excursion with the high school group. I was asked to do a devo for it, so I tried to make it make more sense than the last one I did. Ben asked me to do it on unity, so I did it on Epheasians 4:17-5:2, and it guess it turned out ok. I wrote all my notes on a thrifty-nickle paper so I kinda had a hard time reading it. So that was really cool. Between Gareth, Tyler, J-man and I we probably weren't the greatest influences. Gareth and I decided to first walk through the bond fire on a log, then we used huge knives to pick up the burning wood and run around with it and eventually throw it in a lake. About an hour or two into our trip I got a call from Liz saying that she had misread a airline fare and asked if she could get a ride back to california with me. I was like sure. Liz needed to go to a wedding in San Diego that weekend. So we got back and made miniscule plans to go in my truck back and fly back, but she had not ordered tickets. I packed that night and the next day we start our morning with a hearty 4 or 5 cups of coffee and at about 10 am Liz decides to pack. Our original plan was to take my truck down and I would drop her off in San Diego at a friends house and I would stay at my Grand Parents house. So the only ticket she can find is like $260 one way so we decided last minute that I would leave my truck in Utah (wasn't running reliably anyways) and we would drive her accord down. So about 30 minutes before we left we like totally replanned out trip. We both loaded up and took off. I must way our trip was probably the best road trip I've been and the shortest 10 hours of my life. We talked alot about life and just stuff in general, was awsome. I must say she is an awsome person, gives me hope that there is people that desire to be led by Chirst in every way. Ok this definitely blew me away. I definitely have not traveled long distances with women or been around them that much. Liz is so beautiful that people give her free stuff! She got a free Macho drink at Del Taco, how cool is that! And even more awesome and beautiful then that, she gave him a track in return! I can honestly admit I don't know if I could do that. He probably wasn't expecting that. Im still like like wow. Comming from a Christian guy's perspective, it's hard to find a girl who is desire for Christ is evident in personality and where her motives are genuine. A person who put her calling above all else. It gives me hope not to compromise on standards we are called to as Christians and to look for the same standards in the opposite sex. As for me, it reconfirmed that I need to follow my calling foremost. As a wise man once told me, "many women will enter your life, many will be intersecting for a moment and running a calling tangent to your calling. Don't get distracted with those ones because they will turn you from you calling. Only focus on those running parallel with your calling so you can be yoked together in your ministry and multiply each others efforts." Told to me by the JAARS missionary at our career fair. Only problem is in a mathematical world, to parallel lines never intersect (thats kinda irrelevant). I don't exactly know what my calling is. I enjoy talking to Mormons, but Kabul still calls me now and then and I don't want to drag anyone around that doesn't have a heart for it. So I just pray that the Lord puts me where He wants me, not where I feel confortable.
Anyways ya. So Liz dropped me off in Riverside. We ate Chipotle (yum) and then she dropped me off and took off. Then on sunday morning she was came back up and we had coffee and a shared a box of musli before church (was really refreshing to hang with her after the night before). We went to Sandals church at Cal Baptist. That was kinda stange. Then she dropped me off and my friend Josh's. That afternoon Josh's friends took me and Josh surfing. I don't know why in the 16 years I lived here I never took up surfing. It was freaking amazing. I didn't catch to many waves but it was so relaxin just chilling on the ocean. Ok I think it has taken me like 4 days to write this. Ill try no to write so much next time.

yes that is at the LDS church history museum, and yes its in the kids section and yes you can pull off he pieces and re arrange them. And if your family decided to move on and you don't feel you have dabbled in the demonic realm enough, thankfully there is little pentagrams on paper you can color with your crayons so you can summon demons while you ride home or while your family is being sealed to satan for time and eternity, yay!

2 comments:
I guess you failed to at least read the wikipedia entry about the pentagram. The pentagram was a common symbol in early Christianity. The five points each have five meanings: the five senses, the five wounds of Christ, the five fingers (or sometimes the five wise virgins), the five joys that Mary had in Jesus, and the five virtues of generosity, fellowship, purity, courtesy, and compassion. In fact, it was considered a Christian symbol until about 200 years ago.
Since the LDS Church is a restoration of the original New Testament Christianity set up by Jesus Christ, wouldn't you expect them to use the symbols of the early Christian Church? If you look closely on many LDS temples and other buildings you will see not only 5 pointed stars, but circles in squares, crosses in circles, and common use of Biblically symbolic numbers such as 8 and 12 - all used in first century Christianity. Next time you visit Temple Square ask one of the guides to explain to you some of the symbolism found on the Temple, Assembly Hall, and Conference Center.
You should probably learn the history of your own religion before you attack another.
Proverbs 4:7!
I'm really sorry. Let me apologize for not replying earlier. I just found this post. I have gotten this same comment from other LDS with pretty much the same argument. Well I too have done some research on the pentagram and I did it outside what wikipedia or what my church says (I think you should do the same). If anyone wants to do any real scholarly research on a topic, they DO NOT use Wikipedia because anyone with an agenda can post whatever they want. Here is a link:
http://gmarthe3rd.blogspot.com/2009/04/overview-of-satanism.html
I actually read the Satanic Bible and LeVay's comments on what the pentagram means. You can read my findings for yourselves. The deeper you dig, the more you understand the truth. Yes it did crop up in early Christianity. The pentagram is the perverted pinnacle. It was used by the Babylonians and later the Knights Templar, and also may others to symbolize worldly passions, love, fleshly desires, etc. Although thought to be righteous crusaders, Knights Templar were not what they seamed. Instead they worshiped Bophamet and flew under the flag of a supposed cross. Also the pentagram is the official symbol of Satanism and is connected with left-hand magic practices. This is why it is so offensive to Christians.
On another note. LDS call themselves Christian, so why are you saying I'm a different religion. I feel LDS are only using us for our good qualities and desert us in times of trouble.
John 14:6
Post a Comment