Monday, April 12, 2010

On the Road



So I actually have been working on a blog post about the last 4 months. LOTS of things have happened this spring. I now am no longer single. Thats right, sorry ladies, Im taken by a WONDERFUL green-eyed brunette named Emilee Dawson. I visited Elliot and Ali Dawson in Sandpoint, ID and then helped them moved down after Elliot got laid off from Quest. Chilled in Nampa, ID with Ian Rask and then drove down to LA. Officially started to date Emilee, then went to Europe.

I spent two weeks in Germany visiting my parents and made frequent visits to France and Switzerland. I had the opportunity go snowboarding in the Alps and participate in a three night outreach to the German people where our family's testimony was read in German. I returned and spent time with Emilee.

I decided to return to Idaho, but I wanted to stop in Utah. Turns out the Utah mission team (I lead it last year) from LeTourneau was going to be there (during spring break) the same time as I was planning on passing through. I had breakfast with my cousin James but I convinced him to come with me, thus insuring my return to California and more time spending with Emilee. I had on my mind R. G. LeTourneaus' life verse: "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. " Matthew 6:33. I had no job and limited money but I trusted that the Lord would provide.

In Utah we visited the Rocky Ridge polygamist colony outside of Santaquin, UT. We basically went door to door and just told people that Jesus loves them and we love them. Also we gave out some information on the Shield and Refuge ministry for helping women leave polygamy. James and I drove Gareth's '72 bug up to spend the night with our cousins Tim and Carryann Barton up in Layton, north of Salt Lake City.

The next day, after buying $10 lether jackets, we went to the LDS temple in downtown SLC. We were able to do some ministry to the LDS missionaries. On Wednesday we went down to Kanab and shared our testimonies with troubled teens at a boarding school there. These teens had problems with drugs, sex, violence, and things like that. We spent the night in Kanab and I was vandalized and thrown in a shower upside-down for entering into a relationship with Emilee (a few guys from my dorm floor where there).


On Thursday I had the opportunity to be apart of the first real public outreach to Jeff Warren's polygamist colony in Colorado City, AZ/ Hildale, UT. Basically all the polygamists there still dress like pioneers from the 1800s, but they have modern technology. So we went around and invited people to a BBQ in the park. We didn't know if anyone would show up to our BBQ but we all hung out and prayed. It started at 4 but people just drove by wondering what was going on. Late in the evening people started to come. Wives and a few men showed up. There was also alot of teens around. Anyways it was a great way to show that we care about them and start building relationships.


On Friday James and I went up to SLC and helped a friend of his with a middle-school outreach program. It was good. We helped out and returned late at night back to Ephriam. Anyways I returned to California with James on Sunday and hung out with Emilee. I fixed Kathy McNair's PT cruiser and a few other cars in the following days and weeks. Anyways somehow I ended up staying about 2 months in California. Now I am in San Luis Obispo on my way back up to Idaho where I intend to stop for now.

Life has been interesting. I have really learned what it means for the Lord to provide. God has been so good.

"So do not worry, saying, 'what shall we eat?' or 'what shall we drink?' or 'what shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his rightousness, and all these things will be given unto you as well. Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" - Matthew 6:31-34

I am learning still what it means not to worry. I worry, just ask Emilee haha. But God is working in me and knows I need to be reminded. He started a work in me and is working all the rough edges off of me. I am a blessed man and know it (to what extent or how much I may not know). I hope you will be blessed today also.

1 comment:

Ned Funnell said...

Very nice, Micah! Good to hear your story. Hopefully we will meet up sometime this summer!